This project was about the creation an online dating website, Findr, that allowed users who are interested in a relationship to match with each other based on factors such as interests, age group and location. If both parties matched with each other, they will then be able to start a conversation and get to know each other. This will be followed by their own accord of whether they would like to meet up and further their relationship.
Project Lead (Group of 4)
Capstone Project (March - June 2020)
Empathising with Users
Before we designed our product first needed a better understanding of user behavior and user needs, by using the design framework, we empathised and came up with some user personas with following questions —
• "Who are the users (that will be using the app)?"
• "What are their goals and motivation"
• "What makes my product different? What makes it special?"
We found that most existing social / dating apps are unintuitive and does not offer users the choice of filters (without a paywall). Additionally, some users never really quite find genuine connections that they are looking for. As we all know, humans are social creatures that thrive on social interactions and activities.
Take Mike, for example, a 28 year old, charismatic, sensitive, and athletic guy. Mike is looking for other users like himself who are also into health and fitness.
Mike lives in a fairly rural area with a small population, all he wants is to find friends who are into fitness like him and similar personality traits.
Findr, one of your best friends and a unique app designed to help you find new connections. Whether you’re there simply to make new friends, expand your social network, or even find your potential soulmate, it can be all done with Findr!
Findr, prides itself in ensuring that our users are matched with other like-minded individuals. After all, sometimes, all we want is somebody to connect and talk to.
Say for example that Mike has had a change of heart and wants to settle down, he is now looking for someone who fits the follow criteria - committed, serious, kind and spiritual. What happens now? Well, Findr also provides users the flexibility to fine tune results through the use of filters as well!
Findr itself handles the matching behind the scenes, and all you have to do is match!
• Ability for users to create and edit their profile, tailored specifically to their personality
• The brain of Findr — the matching algorithm which takes multiple factors into consideration such as age, ethnicity, location, and personality traits, so as to create unique personalised matches
• Users are able to find and connect (to match) with other users.
• Ability to specifically edit and tweak your list of potential matches through the use of a detailed filter (in addition to recommendations)
• Pagination and display options for users to browse using a list or grid view, along with the option to select the number of cards shown per page
• Messaging feature that allows users to message and communicate with each other after being matched
Low Fidelity Mock-Up
Create Profile Page
View User Profile
Edit Profile Page
High Fidelity Mock-Up
Create Profile Page
View Profile Page
Edit Profile Page
Update Info Page
Findr was a web app that was completed as part of our capstone project with a heavy emphasis on software development and project management.
Furthermore, as this was not an actual product for consumer use and was done only for educational purposes, the project was discontinued shortly after submission. Usability tests and research could have been done to identify pain points and there are areas that could have been improved on.
After the project finished, I revisited and redesigned an interactive prototype for the mobile version of Findr. If you would like to see it, please do contact me and let me know.